Cymraeg | English
 
bulletWe now feature all of our cottages on a new website that is dedicated just to holiday accommodation and the local area. We hope that this will offer a more detailed and comprehensive booking experience!

Please click here for more information.

Boltholes and Hideaways
 
 

Carreglwyd House and Grounds Open Days 2018

Opening Days for 2018 will be :

From April 7th to the 8th May each afternoon, with the exception of Mondays, except Bank Holiday Monday 7th May when we are open at the usual times.

Opening times are from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. with guided tours of the house on the hour at 3 and 4 pm.

Adults : £4.50, Children and OAP’s £2. Group rates available on request.

Bluebells and Art
From April 7th to 8th May there will be an Art exhibition of Local Artists in the Stables and an opportunity to follow the Bluebell Walk. Times as above.

Because of the exceptional weather The Bluebells may only pop up towards the end of April !

On the afternoon of April 28th ….. a special event …..

An invitation to Carreglwyd for our annual charity fundraiser, and overall lovely day...."Art and Bluebells"
The stable building will be filled with paintings and other artworks by Huw Jones and other local artists, and the woods will (hopefully!) be blanketed by bluebells.

Guided tours of the main house will be going on, as well as cream tea's and an amazingly well prized raffle.

So please come down and enjoy a great day for an excellent cause.

All profits will be donated to local charity Digartref, which works closely with homelessness.
(A representative of the charity will be there with information of their many life changing projects)
Tickets for the day will be £5 on the door and will include a glass of wine.

Click here to see the event on Facebook


group of people
2 buses in the car park
Group Visit - Sports Ambassadors October 2015
Car Park - with plenty of room for coaches

Carreglwyd 1634 - 2016 : a short history

Carreglwyd was built in 1634 by Dr William Griffiths. He was the Chancellor of St Asaph and Master of the Rolls to Charles the First. His grandfather, Sir William Griffiths had been the Rector of Llanfaethlu for 44 years. Charles the First gave Dr Griffiths one of the five Edward Bower copies of Van Dyke's portrait at the time of his trial. This portrait hangs in the Dining Room of Carreglwyd today.

In 1755 John Griffiths, the great, great grandson of Dr William Griffiths, having inherited Carreglwyd, married Mary Trygarn, the heiress of a long line of Hollands of Berw and of Richard Trygarn of Trygarn. Mary remodelled Carreglwyd in the late 18th Century. Their son Holland Griffiths inherited Carreglwyd on the death of his father in 1776 and Berw in 1799.

 

Dr William Griffith
Charles 1

Richard Trygarn Griffiths, the son of Holland Griffiths, married Emma Mary Carpenter in 1838, the daughter of Captain Digby Thomas Carpenter and Emma Stanley, daughter of Sir John Thomas Stanley and Margaret Owen of Penrhos. Their only child, Maria Emma Elizabeth Conway Griffiths inherited Carreglwyd and in 1880 married Sir Chandos Stanhope Hoskyns Reade 8th Bart of Shipton, Oxford.They had no children and Sir Chandos died in 1890.

Richard Trygarn Griffith
Lady Reade

Richard Trygarn Griffiths, the son of Holland Griffiths, married Emma Mary Carpenter in 1838, the daughter of Captain Digby Thomas Carpenter and Emma Stanley, daughter of Sir John Thomas Stanley and Margaret Owen of Penrhos. Their only child, Maria Emma Elizabeth Conway Griffiths inherited Carreglwyd and in 1880 married Sir Chandos Stanhope Hoskyns Reade 8th Bart of Shipton, Oxford.They had no children and Sir Chandos died in 1890.

Lady Reade built the Griffith Reade Coffee House in the village of Llanfaethlu in 1892 as an alternative meeting place to the Public Houses of the era. In 1993 this building was renovated to mark its Centenary. Today it combines the roles of Village Hall, Shop, Cafe, Hairdresser, and Lifelong Learning Centre .

Lady Reade died in 1917 and Carreglwyd passed to her cousin Major Frederick Carpenter, grandson of Thomas Digby Carpenter and Emma Stanley. He married three times but did not produce any children. On his death in 1937 Carreglwyd passed to his nephew, Frederick Noel Carpenter. Frederick Noel died in 1955 and was succeeded by Thomas Stanley Carpenter, his eldest son.

Thomas Stanley died in 1992 and was succeeded by Thomas Stanley Holland.

Tom married Ninni Karin in 1984 and they have three children, Laura, Digby, and Talula along with Kristian and Erik from Ninni's first marriage.

Carreglwyd opened its doors to the public for the first time in 1996, and following the first upgrade of the car park, more formally in 1998.

The renovation of the Stable Block was completed in 2010, with the first Wedding in May that year. Since then Carreglwyd has hosted over 50 weddings and events, and the Gottwood Festival has become a thriving fixture in June each year, attracting over 5,000 people from all over the world.

 

 

© Carreglwyd 2009
Styled by Droplet powered by Delwedd